This lesson is suitable for older teens and adults.
The main focus is on giving opinions on what someone should do. You’ll also be listening for meaning, guessing what happened next in a story and using some dating vocabulary.
Talk with your teacher or with a partner about your answers. This is really important if you want to practise your speaking.
Start the lesson here, and click on the links if you want to look at anything in more detail!
1. Do you know any of these dating-related words and phrases? What do you think they mean?
- going Dutch
- double date
- one-night stand
- What’s your type?
For answers, you can go to my Tumblr, here.
2. Talk with your partner about your answers to these questions:
- When someone texts, how quickly do you reply, on average?
- Do you ever keep someone waiting for days for a text? If you do this, what are the reasons?
- Would you text more quickly or more slowly than usual if the person you were texting was a potential partner and you were planning to meet up for a date?
3. From what your partner has said so far, can you guess how they would answer this question? Think about what your partner would say, and tell them what you think.
- You meet someone you are interested in dating. You send the potential date a short, simple message, and the date doesn’t reply. You go to your partner to ask for advice. What would your partner tell you to do?
Did you guess your partner’s reaction correctly? Speak with him/ her and find out!
4. Here’s a video of dating coach Matthew Hussey speaking about a friend of his who was in this situation. Listen to Matthew speaking and think about the answers to these questions:
- What does this woman reply to the text?
- What does Matthew think of her reply?
- What do you think of her reply?
Talk about your answers with your partner.
5. Listen to some more of the video. Think about these questions:
- What does the girl do next?
- Why does Matthew not like this?
Talk with your partner about what you heard.
6. The boy doesn’t text back until Friday. What do you think he replies?
Share your ideas with your partner!
7. Let’s find out the answer!
8. And now, for what happens next:
- Watch the video and note the most important points in the rest of the story.
- Now compare your ideas with your partner.
- What do you think Matthew texted this boy? What would you have texted on behalf of the girl?
9. Let’s find out what Matthew wrote!
- What reasons does he give for choosing this reply?
- How do you think the story continues?
10. Let’s find out how it all ends:
- Do you think this advice is useful for people trying to set up a date? Why/ why not?
- Can it be applied equally to the opposite situation, where a boy is trying to set up a date with a girl?
- Do you have any unreliable people in your life? How do you deal with them? Is it appropriate to cut someone off for being flaky?
11. For some related quotations and ideas to discuss, please click here.