– How would you feel about becoming famous on the internet?
– How do people (or animals) become famous on the internet?
2. Can you match the vocabulary with the definitions?
|1. selfie (n)||a. to distribute information, text, photos or videos on the internet, by emailing, messaging or posting to a social media page|
|2. stock photo (n)||b. a word, phrase, picture or video that is widely shared on the internet|
|3. follow (v)||c. a photo of yourself, taken by you|
|4. share (v)||d. to make changes to a text, video or photo|
|5. edit (v)||e. a photo which can be bought for use in a magazine, website or advert|
|6. meme (n)||f. to click to say you want to receive updates from a page or account on social media|
3. Let’s talk some more about internet memes
A meme is a word, phrase, picture or video that is widely shared on the internet.Definition from Part 2, above.
- Is this definition completely accurate? What are other important characteristics of memes?
- What is the difference between a meme and a viral video or photo?
- Can you think of some examples of memes? Where did they originate?
4. We’re going to hear from a man who became a meme.
He is a Hungarian named András Arató, who became famous on the internet as ‘Hide the Pain Harold’.
This is the first part of the video. Watch and answer these questions:
- Who is András Arató?
- Why were there photos of him on the internet?
5. Here are some sentences from the rest of András’ story.
Can you put these into a logical order to make a story?
|a. I had the opportunity to cooperate with the biggest brands like Coca-Cola. They invited me for a shooting where I had to fly in a wind tunnel.|
|b. I revealed my identity on a Russian social media site.|
|c. I wanted to whizz through all the pictures and close down all the websites.|
|d. Now there is a much bigger challenge in sight.|
|e. It was horrifying when I encountered the first memes, because there were some really rude or disgusting jokes.|
|f. After that, I can say that all the bad or rude or disgusting memes disappeared.|
|g. It took several years till I could accept the situation.|
6. Listen to the rest of the story and check your answers.
7. Think, then discuss
- Why did the ‘rude or disgusting’ memes disappear?
- What was the ‘bigger challenge’ that András mentioned? Do you think it will be a success?
- András’ story seems to have had a positive ending. Was that down to luck, or did it happen because of his positive attitude?
- Do you think his experience is typical of people who became a meme?