2. Verbs for Driving: Manoeuvres
a. What special manoeuvres do you have to do as part of your practical driving test?
For instance, do you have to show that you can handle
- reverse parking? (into a parking space)
- parallel parking? (in between cars parked alongside a street)
- reversing round a corner?
- a 3-point turn? (a U-turn: turning around in the street)
b. Choose one of these manoeuvres and explain the steps a driver needs to take to do it successfully. Don’t forget to mention things inside the car – changing gear, turning the wheel – as well as things outside the car.
c. What happens if another vehicle approaches while the driver is carrying out these manoeuvres?
d. Let’s talk about another special type of driving: fast driving on a freeway or motorway. Supposing you need to drive on this type of road for two junctions – you enter the road, keep going and pass one junction, and then turn off at the next junction – what are the steps you need to take, so that you can get to your destination safely?