3. Directions for Drivers
a. Look at the picture below and answer the questions:
- Describe the position of the black taxi in the road.
- What is the motorcyclist doing?
- What do you think the triangular road signs mean?
- How many side roads can you see? Do you think they’re one-way or two-way roads?
- What potential hazards does the driver need to notice and watch out for on this road?
b. Match the descriptions with the pictures.
- (a) At the next junction, take a left, and an immediate left again.
- (b) At the fork, take a left and then next right.
- (c) At the interchange, bear left.
- (d) At the junction, take a sharp left turn.
- (e) At the roundabout, take the third exit.
(The maps are taken from OpenStreetMap. The arrows were added – inexpertly – by Englishin3d.)
c. What words in the last exercise help to describe exactly how or when to turn?
d. Now you try it – find a map of your area to use, and describe how to get from one place to another by car.
If you can’t find a map, here’s a link to a nice village map: https://createimaginarium.org/village-map-2/.