5. Listen to the next segments of the video
- What does Margaret do instead of watching TV?
- Why is the fire so important?
Here is a quotation from this clip:
I’ve no desire to have television, but I do love reading books. I especially like the Russian authors because they’re very graphic in their details.
- Using this structure, what can you say about your own hobbies?
- What things do you have no desire to do?
- What do you especially like and why?
Below is the next part of the video, so here are some more questions:
- What do we learn about Margaret’s family, from her descriptions?
- What did she do after leaving school?
Here we have another quotation:
There were times we couldn’t have carried on, had it not been for my sister.
- What does this sentence mean?
A grammar exercise based on ‘had it not been’ is here.
Discuss: who had the more fortunate start in life, Freda, who got the chance to be educated, or Margaret, who was able to stay in the place where she grew up?