a. Here is the first part of the text. Read it, then discuss:
- Which of these incidents was worse, and why?
- What symptoms are mentioned in the text?
b. Find synonyms in the text for these words and phrases:
- (i) decreased by a large amount
- (ii) made secret plans together
- (iii) amounts
- (iv) poisonous
- (v) deadly
- (vi) always / without changing
- (vii) called it by a particular name
- (viii) was not dangerous
- (ix) a number of instances of the same illness in the same place
- (x) a large-scale and fast-spreading outbreak of a disease
Answers to page 6: here.