a. What’s in the photo – and what isn’t?
b. Some people have a negative view of minimalist lifestyles.
- What reasons could there be to criticise minimalism and the decluttering movement in general? Work together with classmates to brainstorm points against minimalism.
c. Here’s a webpage (from a minimalist site) listing 6 reasons why people hate minimalists.
- How many of these reasons did you mention during the discussion you just had?
d. The photo at the top of this page has been used by author Kyle Chayka in a critique of minimalism. We’re going to read part of an article by Chayka.
- Click on the link below.
- Scroll down about 2/3 of the way, to the paragraph beginning “The most famous proponent of minimalism…”. The T is huge so you should be able to find it easily.
- Start reading here and read three paragraphs, down to the picture.
- When you’re ready, answer the questions below.
- What is the ‘deception’ that Kyle Chayka describes in the text?
- What is the meaning of the slogan Fewer, Better, and why might it be controversial?
- Do you see any similarities between Chayka’s argument and any of the 6 Reasons listed on the other webpage we visited?
e. What’s your view on minimalism?
-More on Part 5-