Listen to Hugh telling the story of the massive fire that hit Hinewai in 2011 and decide if these statements are true or false:
- (a) The weather that July was typical for the season.
- (b) The helicopters initially had difficulty getting to the fire.
- (c) Hugh was told by firefighters that he must evacuate his house.
- (d) A few native plants were destroyed alongside the gorse.
- (e) Hugh likens the memory of the fire to a pouncing animal.
f. How big a disaster was the fire for Hinewai? Listen again (22:45 and 25:32) and share your view with your classmates.
Some more detailed points to deepen the discussion can be found here.
Discuss: Have you ever experienced a natural disaster or extreme weather conditions? Do you have personal experience of unexpected or climate events or unseasonable weather in the past decade?