4. Listen and Compare
We’re going to listen to Erika, a teacher, talking about her experiences of living and working in Whittier.
a. Read the vocabulary and answer the questions together
- Before we listen, let’s just check a few words:
- bush community – a settlement in the bush or bushlands, a wild landscape which has not been farmed intensively. Where in the world can you find bush communities?
- condo a condominium – a North American word for a comfortable apartment in a building owned and managed by its residents. Are there condos in your home town?
- mayor the head of a town or city. Some mayors have a lot of power; some mayors’ job is just to go to important events and make a speech. Who is your local mayor?
b. Listen to 0:00 – 3:59.
- Does Erika agree with any of the things you wrote down earlier about Whittier (in part 3b)?
- Does she answer any of the questions you wanted to ask (in part 3d)?
c. Reflect and Discuss
- What positive and negative things does Erika say about life in Whittier?
|“I would say one major (dis)advantage is…”||“If I remember it right, she mentioned…”||“Another positive / negative / pro / con is (that)…”|