9. Explore and Respond: Remapping our Worlds
a. In 2020, at the height of the Coronavirus pandemic, the news company Bloomberg asked readers to draw maps of their personal ‘worlds’. Some of these have been compiled onto a webpage.
Your first task is to:
- Click on the link below and read through the introduction to the page.
- Scroll through the maps and select three that you find interesting. Read the texts about these.
- Make a list of 5-10 vocabulary items or sentences that you’d like the teacher to explain.
b. Write 200-300 words about the three maps you chose.
Write about some or all of these topics:
- What are the similarities and differences between these maps?
- What do the maps show about how people view the world around them?
- What can we (or others in future) learn from looking at these maps?
- How do you personally relate to these maps, and what is your reaction to them?
c. Now it’s your turn!
Just like the people who sent maps to Bloomberg, you’re going to visualise your ‘world’. You can draw it as it is now, or think back to the Coronavirus, or even draw how you see your world in future.
The only rules are:
- You must produce a ‘map’: you can be creative with this, but it has to be something visual.
- You must write a text introducing and explaining your map.
You can find more on wayfinding and human navigation in these articles: